Happy Julidays, Day 8! Sorry that this post is going up a little later than usual, yo girl had some stuff going on!
Even though I live in SoCal, and it doesn’t get nearly as cold here as it does in other parts of the country/world, I’m not physically or mentally bred to live comfortably in conditions under 60 degrees. As the months get colder, our skin gets dry AF… Or at least mine does, which is why this peppermint mocha body scrub is now one of my favorite DIY projects ever.
Quite honestly, I made this scrub after coming across the brand Frank Body. I thought that their product and branding was so cute, and was about to spend $20 on their most basic coffee scrub… until I looked at the ingredients. After just a quick glance, I realized I could make a very similar one with barely any cost to me. And better yet, I could make a HOLIDAY one.
This Peppermint Mocha Body Scrub will help make it feel like the holiday season all year long. It’s incredibly easy to make, and the best thing about it is that you probably have 90% of these items laying around your house. Its ease makes it the perfect item to add to your daily routine, and its affordability makes for a great DIY holiday gift! Not only is it easy on your wallet, but it’s packed with tons of benefits for your skin.
- Peppermint Oil: adding peppermint oil to hair and skin products adds antiseptic and antimicrobial properties, helping cool down the skin. It also aids in oil secretion in skin, which helps prevent acne. PLEASE NOTE – If using a peppermint oil meant for aromatherapy, you have to dilute it with another body oil, like…
- Coconut Oil: this oil acts as a skin softener and is packed with vitamin E, which is known to keep skin smooth and prevent cracking. It’s also antibacterial and antifungal, and smells amazing!
- Sugar: a very cheap, accessible, and natural exfoliant
- Coffee: like sugar, it’s also a very cheap accessible exfoliant. With this DIY recipe, you’re free to use any type of coffee grounds, including vegan, organic, and/or cruelty free. Coffee helps stimulate blood flow, promotes collagen production, and get rid of dry and dead skin cells.
- Cacao Powder: blocks harmful free radicals in the body, and is packed with vitamin C and magnesium, which helps in protecting the skin and keeping it healthy. The richness of the product’s color, combined with the coffee grounds, helps naturally bronze the skin.
- Cinnamon: not only does this bad boy smell great, but it helps get rid of acne and blemishes, smoothes dry skin, and enhance the complexion.
The benefits of each individual product on its own are amazing, so just imagine what they’d do together. If you don’t have all of these items in your pantry, don’t worry! I’ll provide links below.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup used coffee grounds
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 5-10 drops of peppermint essential oil (if using one made for aromatherapy, make sure to dilute in another oil!)
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Dash of cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet almond oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Crushed candy canes (for topping/”garnish”)
- Remove used coffee grounds from coffee maker, and wrap in 2-3 paper towels. Wring out the excess water in the sink. This step is important to prevent the coffee scrub from getting moldy and from the mixture heavily separating in the container.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the coffee grounds, cacao powder, and cinnamon and stir
- Add the coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla extract (optional), until evenly incorporated
- In a small dip bowl, combine peppermint oil and almond oil. Add to the scrub mixture
- Store in an airtight container, and top with crush candy canes.
How to Use
- Since this doesn’t have any deep cleaning properties, perform your usual shower routine.
- Rinse off whatever products you have on, and turn the shower off.
- With your body still wet, apply generous amounts of the scrub on your body. If your body is dry, the scrub will ball/clump up, and won’t stay on your body. Keep on for 1 minute, and rinse off. Your shower will look really dirty, but don’t worry, it’s only temporary!
- Pat dry. For an extra moisture bomb, apply your favorite non-scented body lotion.